Skip to main content

Choosing the Autodidactic Path

  Dedicating yourself to learning and problem solving is not as simple as just attending school. For some of those who do not fit into the school system very well, they prefer to teach themselves what they want, at the pace they want, and how they want. They become autodidaktikos, which is Greek for “self-taught.” Autodidacts are those who prefer to teach themselves, commonly rejecting the enforced school system and sometimes the optional (though fruitful) school system (K-12 and University, respectively).   Choosing the autodidactic path can look different for everyone, but there are some commonalities among those who engage in autodidactic activities. One commonality I already mentioned is rejecting the school system(s). While I do agree that mandating education for children and adolescents is beneficial in most cases, some are better off learning on their own with the guidance of a mix of wise, knowledgeable, and intelligent mentors. I expand more on the education system in subseque

Falling off of a Building, the Mean Between the Extremes, and the Importance of Virtue

There is much to be learned from the Ancient Greeks, especially if you are willing to work on yourself. Read on to get some essential philosophical self-help wisdom from Aristotle.

Check-in: Week one of following my wellness routines was successful! Now that I am feeling better, I am able to exercise a lot, something I couldn’t do much of before. I am also eating so much healthier and I am really paying attention to getting the proper nutrients I especially need for my mind and body with my chronic illness and ADHD. A balanced diet high in healthy fats and protein has been serving me well so far with increased energy levels. I did still have a mini relapse though, so my diet and exercise haven’t changed my symptoms that much yet. 

The mini episode was quite strong and scary, the intensity was like I was off of medication, which really surprised me because my medications usually can dampen down my flare-ups. It started with me leaving to go on vacation. I started feeling anxious for no reason and I felt sick to my stomach, but I felt like I was starving even when I ate. I thought that this would be a normal little flare-up that I could ride out with not much difficulty. Well, I was wrong. As the time passed on my vacation, the already present symptoms got worse and new symptoms cropped up. However, I was still okay until I got home. When I got home, I started hearing loud cricket noises, mechanical noises, and ringing… ugh, my tinnitus! Soon after the tinnitus started, the lights appeared much brighter, too bright, and my vision became distorted. Sounds were heightened, so I was sensitive to everything. Even just existing was overstimulating. I couldn’t concentrate on what people were saying and I went numb. The scariest symptom I had was one I’ve never had before this time. When I was walking on my carpet at home, I suddenly fell off of a grey building... I accidentally stepped part of my foot off of the carpet and when I felt the loss of familiar footing, it truly felt like I was falling off of a building. It was like vertigo. For a moment, I was startled and it felt so real, only to snap out of it and realize I am at home, inside, and safe. 


Some of the odd symptoms like those continued until the end of the day I got back home. Thankfully, I was able to stay safe despite the intensity of my symptoms and talk about my scary experiences with a new friend I met at my last hospitalization. Another thing that helps to ground me after these tough times is simply working on myself. I do this in a number of ways, but one way I’ve been working on myself currently is by reading philosophy.


Recently, I’ve been reading Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics. This collection of books is about becoming great-souled by acting in accordance with virtues, how happiness is the highest, self-fulfilling good, and how to behave in ways that would bring about honor and happiness. One important main idea in Nicomachean Ethics is that to become great-souled, one must not only act in accordance with virtues but stay within the mean instead of the extremes pertaining to each virtue. The mean between the extremes is the ideal place to be when trying to become virtuous, as the extremes are vices. For example, if a person seeks pleasure too often or in a way one should not, like eating candy too much in a pattern that is not healthy, they become a slave to their desires and act almost involuntarily. If a person does not seek pleasures enough, then they are miserable and sacrificing too much for possible long-term gains (if one is aiming and struggling too much for a delayed gratification). The latter example can lead to burnout. Another example is friendliness and friendship. If someone is too people-pleasing (obsequious), they might sacrifice their well-being. If a person is not accommodating at all, then they will have trouble maintaining relationships.


Life and becoming virtuous are all about finding a balance in every aspect of life. If a person seeks enough pleasures, not too much and in a way one should, they have a balance between instant and delayed gratifications. This would allow the person to survive the marathon that is life and not burn out too quickly or suffer from addiction. If a person is friendly, reasonably accommodating, and forms friendships based on similar virtues and not pleasure alone, their connections will be deeper and more fulfilling. 


You may be asking yourself, “why would I want to become virtuous? Why bother finding the sweet spot when I can just act how I want without consciously acting with purpose? That seems like a lot of reflecting and a waste of mental energy.” Well, acting in accordance with the virtues of your choice can build up your character, help you form deeper connections, and help you in your career and home life. Also, Aristotle said that acting virtuously can bring honor and admiration, which are nice bonuses. Certain behaviors based on becoming virtuous are the foundation for personality. For example, if a person behaves in a courageous way, they are said to be courageous. Plain and simple. If you want to become something, either proficient in a certain trait or a specific expert in your field, you must act in ways that would get you labeled as what you want to be. Planning around virtues can greatly improve your ability to focus on and get what you want out of life.


Let’s say I want to become a doctor. I need to make a plan, but what virtues would I plan around? Well, a doctor needs to be patient, empathetic, studious, and a great leader. To achieve the label of the first virtue, patience, I would need to constantly and consistently be demonstrating poise and humility. I could do this by not getting frustrated when people make mistakes and accepting them as human. For empathy, I have to demonstrate compassion and care for others in all moments of their lives, from tough to pleasant. By regularly validating others’ experiences when they are going through a rough time and truly honoring when others are elated, I would be labeled as empathetic. To be studious, I would have to study hard and effectively, prioritizing my learning. Likewise, great leadership only comes about when one takes initiative often and is open to all opinions. If I can consistently act in accordance with all of these virtues, there is a higher likelihood that I will be able to become a great doctor.


 If you constantly reevaluate your life and make plans based on specific virtues you want to master, you will have a great basis for building your character, improving your career, and enhancing your lifestyle. Focusing on developing virtues has truly helped me in my functional recovery, so I’m glad to share my life planning method with you. Try to think of one virtue you’d like to master and leave a comment with what it is.


I hoped you enjoyed reading my ramblings about my symptoms and Aristotle. Be sure to follow my Instagram account @wellness.in.meaning and check back next week for another blog post!


-Sophie

Comments

  1. Yes, there is definitely a balance and I do want to be virtuous! Not sure what exactly I need to do quite yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing the Autodidactic Path

  Dedicating yourself to learning and problem solving is not as simple as just attending school. For some of those who do not fit into the school system very well, they prefer to teach themselves what they want, at the pace they want, and how they want. They become autodidaktikos, which is Greek for “self-taught.” Autodidacts are those who prefer to teach themselves, commonly rejecting the enforced school system and sometimes the optional (though fruitful) school system (K-12 and University, respectively).   Choosing the autodidactic path can look different for everyone, but there are some commonalities among those who engage in autodidactic activities. One commonality I already mentioned is rejecting the school system(s). While I do agree that mandating education for children and adolescents is beneficial in most cases, some are better off learning on their own with the guidance of a mix of wise, knowledgeable, and intelligent mentors. I expand more on the education system in subseque

Welcome!

Hello everyone, welcome to my blog, Wellness in Meaning. My name is Sophie. I suffer from a chronic illness and ADHD. Just getting out of my second hospitalization due to my illness, I decided that I will blog about my recovery journey. I want to recover my mind and body in all facets of my life; I want to improve my physical health, my cognition, my symptoms, my role functioning, and my ability to produce meaning in my life and in the world (wellness is nothing without meaning). I will write about a variety of things relating to wellness including my fitness progress, my emotional health, my intellectual pursuits, my musical and creative ventures, and some of my symptoms and medications. Some facts about me: I am an intense, passionate soul with a love of learning and beautiful things. As an amateur photographer and writer of poetry, I am into aesthetics as a way of expressing myself. Philosophy and the arts are what guide me through life, while the sciences keep me grounded. I love l

"Gifted Kid Burnout" - Other People's Experiences

  Last week, I wrote about how the “gifted” label has hurt me more than it helped me, twice-exceptionality, and how I want to break free from the confines of the “gifted child” prognosis. I want to expand on last week’s post by discussing other people’s experiences with advanced intellectual development.  There is a collection of thoughts and feelings that some “gifted” children, unfortunately, experience due to academic, social, and self-inflicted pressures. “What if I’m not intelligent enough?” “What if they were wrong, and I was never actually highly intelligent?” “I am just a heaping pile of wasted potential… Wait no, there was probably no potential to waste in the first place,” along with lack of motivation, depressed mood, existential anxiety, chronic boredom,  and a need for constant validation are common symptoms. There is a name for these experiences; this syndrome is called “gifted kid burnout.” It’s not a rarity among people who were labeled as “gifted” when they were childr